KWC Logo


...
 

    The Official website of City Government     

White Bar Spacer
 

 

 

 

What's New

Our City
Agendas
Departments
Boards & Committees
Job Opportunities
Clean Key West
Code Of Ordinances
City Directory
City News
Calendars
Multimedia
Site Index/Search
General FAQ's
Links
Awards
Home

Kitchen Safety


FACTS:

Each year in America there are over 91 thousand home fires associated with cooking equipment, resulting in over 300 deaths and over 4 thousand injuries.

Cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home fire injuries.

Unattended cooking is the leading cause of home cooking fires.

3 in every 10 reported home fires start in the kitchen - that's more than any other place in the home.

No Stove Picture

SAFETY ADVICE:

  • Never leave food cooking on the stove top unattended, and keep a close eye on food cooking inside the oven.
  • Keep cooking areas clean and clear of combustibles such as potholders, towels, rags, drapes, and food packaging.
  • Keep children and pets away from cooking areas by creating a three-foot "kid-free zone" around the stove.
  • Turn pot handles inward so they can't be bumped and children can't grab them.
  • Wear short, close fitting or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking.  Loose clothing can dangle onto stove burners and catch fire.
  • Never use a wet oven mitt, as it presents a scald danger if the moisture in the mitt is heated.
  • Food cooked in a microwave can be dangerously hot.  Remove the lids or other coverings from microwaved food carefully to prevent steam burns.
  • It is also important to keep a fully charged, certified fire extinguisher readily accessible.
  • And…REMEMBER….smoke alarms save lives.

Grease Fire Picture

WHAT IF:

You have a grease fire:

Always keep a potholder, oven mitt and lid handy.  If a small grease fire starts in a pan, put on an oven mitt and smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan.  Turn off the burner.  Don't remove the lid until it is completely cool.  Never pour water on a grease fire and never discharge a fire extinguisher onto a pan fire, as it can spray or shoot burning grease around the kitchen, actually spreading the fire.

You have an oven fire:

Turn off the heat and keep the door closed to prevent flames from burning you and your clothing.  Call your local Fire Department for assistance.

You have a microwave fire:

Keep the door closed and unplug the microwave.  Call the Fire Department and make sure to have the oven serviced before you use it again.

 

More Tips

Back to main Fire Prevention Bureau menu

Back to main Fire Department menu

Contact

Fire Prevention Month

Safety Tips