Press Releases
Connecticut man suspected of murdering Key West rival  

A love triangle apparently led to a murder in Key West, Fla., Sunday night and to the suspected murdererís suicide on a Virginia roadside Monday afternoon.

Douglas Fontaine, 50, of Vernon, Conn., reportedly shot himself in the head after a Virginia state trooper pulled him over just outside Richmond, Key West Police Detective Hollis Wood said.

Fontaine is suspected of shooting Raymond Wilkinson, 50, of Key West, once in the torso and twice in the head Sunday night at the Poinciana Plaza trailer court in Key West, where Wilkinson was employed as a caretaker, Wood said. He said Fontaine learned that his wife, Vicki Fontaine, 48, had rekindled a relationship with Wilkinson, to whom she had been married about 25 years ago. She had recently told him she was leaving him to go back to Wilkinson, Wood said.

The woman said her husband left Saturday morning with their 18-year-old son, Harley Fontaine, to drive to Washington State for a vacation, but, she told Wood she believed he had set out for Key West from their Vernon, Conn., home to confront Wilkinson.

She reportedly told detectives Fontaine may have had a pistol and she suspected him when she heard about Wilkinsonís murder. Evidence at the murder scene indicated the weapon had been a .45-caliber semi-automatic pistol, Wood said.

A trailer park resident told detectives who were canvassing the area about a man who matched Fontaineís description knocked on his door at about 9:30 p.m. Sunday, asking for directions to Wilkinsonís home, a small cinderblock house at the entrance to the park. Several neighbors heard four loud banging noises between 9 p.m. and 10 p.m. coming from the area where Wilkinson lived, Wood said. Friends of Wilkinson found the body at about 11 a.m. Monday.

Using Fontaineís cell phone records, detectives Monday traced him to Interstate 95 and alerted North Carolina and Virginia state police to be on the lookout for a white, 1994 Lincoln Town car, driven by a murder suspect who could be armed and dangerous and to exercise caution if the car is stopped, Wood said. He said Fontaine shot himself before the trooper had approached the car pulled over on I-95 near Richmond at about 5:30 p.m. Monday.

Harley Fontaine, whom detectives suspected was dropped off by his father on the trip back to Connecticut, showed up at his motherís Connecticut house at about 2 p.m. Tuesday. At the time, police did not know if he had been with his father during the shooting. Police there are questioning him, Detective Sgt. Donie Lee said.

Powered by Web Wiz Site News version 3.06
Copyright ©2001-2002 Web Wiz Guide